Wednesday 11 May 2011

Media Issue - week 9

This week has brought many media issues in the spotlight, some global concerning the death of Osama Bin Laden or addressing the royal wedding of Prince William, others more locally oriented.

Source: http://goo.gl/rl2cp
The issue I chose to discuss this week can be described as a social media issue. It concerns Facebook and its security. The article addresses Symantec which has observed a security issue with Facebook and its apps.  According to the security company some Facebook apps leak private users' information. Facebook's response to that has been that there is no such evidence and that they have looked into the issue already.

An ethical issue comes to mind when talking about security and privacy of private information. First of all, exposing one's personal data without having their permission is illegal by itself. However, Facebook always asks the user when entering an app whether or not they permit this app to access the user's basic information, That basic information consists of their name, contact details, and maybe demographics. I would say for myself that I have never permitted any app to access my basic information, however I can't be 100% sure that any of my personal data has leaked since I have opened a Facebook account.

It is up to the users to take care of their profiles and information, Sharing data today is very easy and could be done everywhere. The world hasn't been more exposed than ever but users should be aware of the disadvantages of the Internet. It is up to the various website to state somewhere visible what the terms and Conditions of an entry are as those change from website to website. Creating profiles and sharing personal information all over the net could cost one his or her reputation. This is why people should be cautious when using such websites. I do not say that I don't trust Facebook, but I expect everything happening under the table. it's always a matter of time for one to investigate if anything dodgy was happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment